June 1, 2009

National Racquetball Championships in Houston

Over the last 12 months I've been playing a lot of racquetball. Although I've been playing some tournaments in Arkansas, I've never had the opportunity to test myself against players outside of this area. Thus, when an opportunity to travel to the National Racquetball Championships in Houston opened up I jumped at the chance.

Matches were held at the YMCA in downtown Houston, began early Wednesday morning and ended late on Sunday night. There were 500 competitors and the semi-finalists from the highest divisions qualified for the US national team.

Of course I was not in such a category and played in the main bracket of the C division (about 40 players) and the age bracket (under 30s) of the C division (about 25 players).

There were some very long days, but I battled to the final of both my divisions and unfortunately lost both finals in tiebreaks to very talented junior players. However, it was a great experience and to come home with two silver medals from the national championships was a welcome surprise! It was a great feeling to know that all the hours practicing paid off.




The tournament will soon be moving away from Houston.



The downtown YMCA where the tournament is held.




Registering. The screen on the right streamed live online so people could see who was playing and on what court. It also uploaded results.




Serving in one of the finals.




The consequences of not getting out of the way!




Making new friends!





Outcome, two silver medals!



No comments: